Redemption Installment Plan
To initiate a payment plan of redemption, you must
- Sign a Redemption Installment Plan Agreement.
- Make the first payment of at least 20 percent of the total original delinquent amount due at the time the contract is initiated.
- All other tax bills are paid on time.
If you need to speak to a tax specialist, please call the tax collector's office between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays at (925) 957-5280.
- Subsequent installments must be paid by April 10th of each year. This includes any tax bills issued in the final year of your payment plan.
- All current year tax bills must be paid by April 10th of each year.
- Subsequent installment payments must be at least 20 percent of the original delinquent amount due plus all accrued penalty interest of 1.5 percent per month on the unpaid balance from the last payment date.
After the first payment, if either the required five year installment payment or the annual current year tax is not paid by April 10 in any tax year, the installment plan will default.
After default, redemption penalties will be re-calculated from the original date of default as if no payment plan was initiated. This may result in a substantial increase in the amount of prior year delinquent taxes outstanding. After re-calculation of the redemption penalties, the payments received through the five year payment plan are deducted from the payoff amount.
After the plan defaults, a new payment plan cannot be started until after July 1 of the following fiscal year. If the property will be tax-defaulted and subject to the tax collector's power to sell on July 1 after the plan is defaulted, a new payment plan may not be started. However, a complete redemption of the property may be made with credit given for the amount paid on the installment plan.