Medi-Cal is a program that provides health coverage for children, parents with deprived children, pregnant women, aged individuals and those who are blind or disabled according to Social Security rules. Eligibility for Medi-Cal is based on a number of factors:
- Families with deprived children have a parent who is absent, incapacitated, unemployed or deceased.
- Your income cannot make you ineligible for Medi-Cal but you may have a share of cost. A share of cost is an amount that you have to pay of your medical expenses before Medi-Cal pays for those expenses. There are Medi-Cal Programs that may eliminate your share of cost. Your worker will evaluate you for these programs.
- Real and personal property that you have must be within program limits, but the home that you live in is exempt.
- Individuals without satisfactory immigration status may qualify for Medi-Cal coverage limited to emergency and pregnancy related services.
- Individuals with one of the following specific health care needs may qualify for a special Medi-Cal Program: Dialysis, Tuberculosis services, TPN (intravenous, nutrition) services, certain services for minors and nursing facility coverage.
You may apply for Medi-Cal by calling 1-800-709-8348. The application process can be completed by mail. If you need more information or already have Medi-Cal and need to talk to a worker, you may call 1-866-663-3225.
If you are not eligible for Medi-Cal, where can you obtain health care?
Persons who are between the ages of 21 and 65 years who need medical care and cannot afford to pay for it may be eligible for program coverage through the County. All counties have programs, administered and funded primarily by the county, that provide limited, free or low-cost medical services to those who do not qualify for Medi-Cal.
In Contra Costa County, the Health Services Department, administers the Basic Health Care and Health Coverage Initiative programs which provide a full scope of health care. Adults who are United States Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents and children under the age of 19 who do not qualify for full-scope Medi-Cal may be eligible. To apply for Basic Health Care or Health Coverage Initiative, please call 1-800-771-4270 to speak with a financial counselor.