FAQ's - Traffic

The 10 Most Frequently Asked Traffic Questions 

Q       Can we have a STOP sign to control speeding?
A        A STOP sign is intended to determine the right of way at an intersection.  It is a rather poor speed control device.  Studies have shown that the effectiveness of a STOP sign on speed ranges from 100 to 150 feet from the sign, after which a vehicle will regain its original speed or faster.  If a speeding problem exists the County can park a radar trailer on your street to inform drivers of their speed.

Q         Does the County install speed humps?
The County does not install speed humps on any public roads.  The speed hump is not considered an official traffic control device and its use would render the County liable should any problem arise.  Speed humps also delay the response time for emergency vehicles.
Q         Can we have "SLOW CHILDREN AT PLAY" signs?
The use of "SLOW CHILDREN AT PLAY" signs, or any similar type sign, is not allowed on public roads.  The message this sign gives to children is that it is acceptable to play in the street, which is contrary to the California Vehicle Code.
Q         Why am I waiting at a red light when there is no cross traffic?
It could be that the signal is malfunctioning.  If you notice a signal that suddenly does not function like it normally did, please call our office so we can check it out.  In many cases that is the only way we will know if something is wrong.
Q         Can we have a crosswalk?

Marked crosswalks are typically placed at signalized or STOP controlled intersections.  The markings on the roadway have shown to give pedestrians a false sense of security and, therefore, not marking them tends to lead the pedestrians to be more careful.
Q         Can you lower the speed limit so everyone will drive slower?

The speed limit is set based on standards found in the California Vehicle Code, except in residential and school areas where the limit is 25 mph.  The vehicle code requires a radar study be performed in order to set the speed limit.  Lowering a speed limit in hopes of slowing down vehicles does not work.  Drivers drive at a speed, which they feel is comfortable.
Q         Can our street be closed off to divert all this traffic?

The County has closed some streets in order to divert traffic.  A study must be completed to ensure that the diverted traffic does not adversely affect another neighborhood, and to determine the traffic volumes and speeds.  The neighborhood will also be involved so as to understand the consequences of a road closure.

Q        I can't see down the street because cars park right next to my driveway.  What can be done?
The County can prohibit parking for various reasons.  We are hesitant to prohibit parking in residential areas due to the impact on the fronting homeowner.
Q         I live on a private street and my street name sign is missing.  Can the County install one?
Street name signs are provided only at the intersection of two or more County-maintained roads.  It has been a long-standing Public Works Department practice that when local property owners request signs for private roads to assist them as follows:
  1. Issue an encroachment permit without charge for the installation of a street name sign.
  2. Provide the names of vendors in the Bay Area who could supply street name signs of the same standard and design used by the Public Works Department.
  3. Furnish the applicant with County standard drawings showing how and where to install such signs.

Q       I got a speeding ticket by a police officer using a radar gun.  Is that legal?
The use of radar to determine speeds has very specific rules.  If you are issued a speeding ticket on a county road contact the County Traffic Division at 925-313-2262 to ensure that a valid radar survey exists for that road.
Contact Us

Monish Sen
Transportation Engineering
Ph: 925-313-2187