Airport Tour Program
Airport Tour Program Components
Some or all of the following components are included in the tour:
- Meet at the public viewing plaza
- A brief history of Buchanan Field Airport
- Hear live broadcasts of the FAA Air Traffic Control Tower communications with pilots
- Climb in the cockpit of a 1946 Stinson Airplane
- Get an up close look at a 1968 UH-1 "Huey" Helicopter
- Learn about the Airport Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) Vehicle
Schedule a Tour
- Tours are limited to one per day and two per week.
- Tours are scheduled between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM, Tuesday through Thursday
- Tours are approximately one hour in length
- We can accommodate groups of up to twenty (20) children age four (4) and older, with up to seven (7) adults/chaperones
- Tours must have a minimum of five (5) children and two (2) adults/chaperones.
- Please schedule your tour two (2) weeks in advance so we can do our best to accommodate your group with as many tour components as possible.
- Please sign and submit the Airport Tour Rules prior to arriving for your tour
Benefits to the Community
The Airport Tour Program is an opportunity to bring "non-aviation" people to Buchanan Field. Doing so helps educate the public about businesses, clubs and services located at Buchanan Field and Byron Airports and the benefits they provide to the local community. The Tour Program also plants seeds of future generations of pilots, provides information on youth programs at the Airports and makes gateways into aviation seem more accessible.
Food Bank Donations
33% of those served at emergency food programs are children; some of which are the same children that enjoy our tour. While the Airport Tour Program is free to participants, staff invites you to donate nonperishable food items and/or money, which will be accepted and delivered to the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano on the day of your tour.
Your donations help us fight hunger so we can provide more than just an excellent tour experience to the children of our community. Thank you!
Public Viewing Plaza
Meet for a briefing at the Public Viewing Plaza and enjoy a picnic before/after your tour while watching runway operations!
Donated by Virginia A. Shaefer, a former Aviation Advisory Committee member, the Stinson is a chance to climb inside a general aviation aircraft.
Inside the Cockpit
Climb inside, pull the steering column, push buttons and let your child's imagination "take flight."
Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting (ARFF) Truck
Meet one of the Airport's fire fighters and see a "crash" truck in action.
UH-1 "Huey" Helicopter
This Veteran's Association restoration project is a chance for "civilians" to see a Vietnam War icon up close.
In the Huey Cockpit
Climb in a military helicopter cockpit and "take the controls".
Food Bank of Contra Costa & Solano
The Airport Tour Program invites you to donate money or nonperishable food items, which Airports staff will accept and deliver to the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano on the day of your tour.