Street Light Maintenance

Contra Costa County Public Works Department (The County) is responsible for maintaining street lights within County Service Area (CSA) L-100. We work with Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) and City offices to determine which agency is responsible for installing or repairing street lights within and outside the County's Lighting District.

Residents whose address is currently within a CSA L-100 boundary pay assessment fees, which appear on their property tax bill. These assessment fees help with operation and maintenance costs for the street lights.

If it is determined that an address is not being assessed for the CSA L-100 District, the resident requesting additional street lights would be asked to annex into the CSA L-100 District. After completing the annexation process, street lights can be installed.

Street lights are an important addition to all communities. They provide illumination which result in a safer environment for residents.

If you have any questions regarding street light repairs, installation or the annexation process, email the Special Districts staff or call at 925-313-2286.


To report a street light that is our or blinking, contact the Public Works Department, Special Districts Section at 925-313-2000 or 925-313-2286. Please provide the following information when reporting a street light outage:

  • Pole Number - Usually on a white metal strip on the pole
  • Nearest street address
  • Cross street


  • Public Works only repairs street lights in the County's jurisdiction. Special Districts staff will arrange for the repair.
  • If the street light is in PG&E's jurisdiction, Special Districts staff will notify PG&E for the repair.
  • If the street light is in the City's jurisdiction, the customer will be directed to contact the City's service center for repairs.