CalGreen / Construction & Demolition (C&D) Debris Recovery Program
A Guide to the CalGreen Review Process
- Email completed CalGreen Plan (Residential (PDF) or Non-Residential (PDF)) to your assigned Plan Checker for approval.
- If your Plan is approved, Plan Checker will remove the "Hold permit issuance for CalGreen Plan" on your permit.
- Once your building permit issued and project construction has been completed, bring project waste to a facility on our Approved List.
- Ask for recycling receipts with weights before unloading waste at an approved facility. Receipts that say MSW, MT, Trash, Refuse or General Debris will receive 0% diversion.
- Email receipts and completed CalGreen Report (PDF) to [email protected] for compliance review. If your report is approved, Staff will remove the "120" CalGreen hold on final inspection.
CalGreen Packet for Applicants and Owners
- CalGreen Applicant Instructions - Residential Projects (PDF)*REVISED 2/16/2022*
- CalGreen Applicant Instructions - Non-Residential Projects (PDF)*REVISED 2/16/2022*
- Approved C&D Processing Facilities List (PDF) *REVISED 5/10/2023*
CalGreen Plan Forms
(Needed to release the CalGreen hold on Permit issuance)
Do not fill-out CalGreen Plan until you have saved/downloaded the forms as described in these step-by-step instructions. Fillable CalGreen Plan and Letter of Acknowledgement Forms are NOT printable. Completed PDF forms should be submitted electronically to the assigned staff person via e-mail. If you do not know the email of the plan checker assigned to your project, please call the APC Front Desk at 925 655-2700, tell them your permit number, and ask for the email of the plan checker assigned to your project..
- Construction Waste Management (CalGreen) Plan Form - Residential (PDF) *REVISED 5/10/2023*
- Construction Waste Management (CalGreen) Plan Form - Non-Residential (PDF)*REVISED 5/10/2023*
CalGreen Report Forms
(Needed to release the CalGreen hold on scheduling Final Inspection)
Do not fill-out CalGreen Report until you have saved/downloaded the form as described in these step-by-step instructions. Fillable CalGreen Report Form, which automatically subtotals the tons, is NOT printable Completed PDF form should be submitted electronically along with copies of all recycling receipts via e-mail to [email protected].
- Construction Waste Management (CalGreen) Report Form (PDF) *REVISED 6/14/2023*
Fillable Supplemental Report Form for Non-Residential Projects that included removal of land clearing debris (dirt, rock, trees and other green waste) that must be filled out electronically and submitted with applicable receipts concurrently with the completed CalGreen Report ([email protected])
- Supplemental Land Clearing Debris Report Form - Non-Residential Projects only (PDF)*REVISED 2/16/2022*
CalGreen Compliance Tools & Resources
Diversion Certification Form (PDF)
This Form must be completed if a recycling receipt was issued by a facility that IS NOT on the Approved C&D Processing Facilities list, if material was donated for reuse or if an Approved Processing Facility receipt does not include all of the required information (quantity and material type). *REVISED 10/17/2019*
Recycling Receipt Guide (PDF) *REVISED 5/19/2020*
CalGreen Reporting Tool for Large Projects & Subdivisions (up to 50 receipts) (XLSX) Excel Worksheet *REVISED 5/17/2023*
Volume to Weight Conversion Table (PDF)
(2,000 pound = 1 ton)
Full CalGreen Packet
Do not fill-out CalGreen Plan or Report until you have saved/downloaded the forms as described in these step-by-step instructions (PDF). Fillable CalGreen Plan and Report forms that are NOT printable and must be saved and filled out electronically for official electronic submittal.
- Full CalGreen Packet for Residential Projects with Fillable Forms (PDF)*REVISED 6/14/2023*
- Full CalGreen Packet for Non-Residential Projects with Fillable Forms (PDF)*REVISED 6/14/2023*
GreenHalo Systems: Optional reporting tool for CalGreen recycling requirements (DO NOT submit on-line) - Must submit PDF version of any report completed using GreenHalo along with legible copies of receipts (not printed versions of receipts scanned/uploaded into GreenHalo) via e-mail to [email protected].
Average Amount of Construction and Demolition (C&D) Debris Generated by Project Type
|Type of Building|
Average Pounds per Square Foot
|3.2 (Tract) -|
Typical Composition of C & D Debris
|Concrete & Asphalt||21%|
|Cardboard & Paper||3%|
|Other Organics (plant debris)||3%|
|Remaining Mixed Debris & Trash||24%|