Building Permit Forms and Information
Due to the Shelter in Place Order issued by the County Health Officer on April 29, 2020 all offices of the Department of Conservation and Development are closed to the public. We continue to operate nearly all of our services and programs while working remotely and supporting the County’s emergency response efforts.
Beginning May 4, 2020 when restrictions on construction are eased by the Shelter in Place Order, we will resume accepting all types of building and planning applications, issuing all types of permits and conducting inspections on all types of construction. However, our process has changed and is now mostly electronic. Please find additional information on how to apply for and receive permits here. Please do not travel to our offices for advice or information as all our buildings and permit centers are not open. We are able to assist you by phone and through electronic communication.
For additional information on how the Shelter in Place has affected our programs and services in the areas of Policy Planning and Housing and Community Improvement please click here.
For updated information from the County about COVID-19, please visit coronavirus.cchealth.org
To apply for a Building Permit or obtain inquiries related to the permit process, you may obtain service:
- By Phone: Speak with our plan checkers on duty from 7:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday to Thursday, and 7:30 - 4:00 pm Friday.
- Self-Help: Access to our ePermit Center allows you to search Property/Permit information such as current projects and application status. Paying for permit fees and scheduling inspections are available online.
New Permit Fees
Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors adopted new land development fees on December 17, 2019. The fees will be implemented on March 1, 2020.
Application Forms and Resources
Application Forms and Checklists
- Building Permit Application (Fillable PDF) **All contractors must have an active business license with Contra Costa County if doing work in Unincorporated areas of the County. Visit the County Business License link for additional information on how to apply for a license.
- Building Permit Requirements Checklist - Residential (PDF)
- Building Permit Requirements Checklist - Commercial (PDF)
- Certificate of Compliance for Plumbing Fixture Replacement (SB407) (PDF)
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recovery Program (CalGreen)
- Demolition Permit Requirement - PCBs Screening Assessment Form (PDF)
- Generator Checklist (PDF) - Required for all generator installatiions
- Permit Extension Request - (Online)
- Residential Photovoltaic System Requirements Checklist (PDF)
- Commercial Photovoltaic System Requirements Checklist (PDF)
- Soils Investigation Report Questionnaire Form for Residential Additions (PDF)
ePermits Center Forms
Contractors and Owner Builders may apply for minor residential and residential/commercial roof mount photovoltaic permits on the ePermits Center. ePermits Center users must first register for an online account. Submit the completed registration form below along with supporting documents to Epermits.email@example.com. We will review your registration form and email you with login information.
- Registration Form / User Agreement for Contractors (PDF)
- Registration Form /User Agreement for Owner-Builders (PDF)
- Online Application Section B (PDF) permit declarations required for each online permit submitted
Required Forms for Owner / Builder Permit Applications
Forms below are required for submission prior to permit issuance
- Authorization of Agent to Act on Property Owner’s Behalf (PDF)
- Owner-Builder Acknowledgement and Verification of Information (PDF)
Required Title 24 Form for HVAC and ReRoof Permits
Download and complete one form per permit for each job site. The form is in PDF format, can be filled out electronically and saved. Submit the completed form by email or by fax to (925) 674-7244. Make sure to indicate the permit number on your form.
- Code Violation Complaint Form (PDF) - (Print and Submit)
- How To Guides
- Records Research Request (PDF)
- Permit Cancellation and Refunds
- Recognized Special Inspection & Testing Agencies (PDF)
- 2016 Residential & Non Residential CalGreen Mandatory Measures Checklist