Frequently asked Veterans Questions

Question: What does your Veterans Service office do to help Veterans?

Answer: We do all of the following: We assist Veterans and their dependents in filing for VA benefits that would be appropriate. These include, but may not be limited to Service-connected Disability Compensation; Non-Service-connected Disability Pension; Educational Benefits for the Veteran as well as Family Members if they meet eligibility. There are also Burial Benefits for the Veteran; Survivors DIC if the military member died in the service or of Service-Connected Disabilities; and Death Pension, provided the Veteran served during wartime. We also provide benefits verifications and information which can be used for establishing social services assistance and we can help obtain Military Discharge papers.

Question: I have a VA Service-Connected Disability rating. I have never sought care for my condition(s), nor have I ever been reevaluated since my initial VA physical exam. Can I go to the VA to be reevaluated and receive care for my Service Connected Health conditions?

Answer: Yes you can! You can go to the VA Martinez Outpatient Clinic (150 Muir Road) to receive care for your service-connected conditions. You'll need to enroll for care if you haven't already done so. You'll need your DD-214 and a copy of your VA rating letter. If you want to have your conditions reevaluated, you'll need to file a new claim with new evidence showing that your service-connected conditions have become worse. This is something that we do all the time. You can file a new claim through our office. Gather up any treatment documentation you can get your hands on and we'll get a claim started.

Question: Will the VA provide hearing aids and eyeglasses?

Answer: Yes, if you are receiving VA healthcare. For Veterans who have hearing loss as a result of their military service, let's also talk about whether we should file a claim for disability compensation or not.

Question: My father is a wartime Veteran and he is now needing help with bathing, dressing, eating, using the toilet, and someone to keep him safe. Can the VA help?

Answer: If the Veteran served during a wartime period, they may be eligible for Disability Pension (commonly known as "Aid & Attendance"). This program is a monthly monetary benefit payable directly to the Veteran. It has income and net worth limits, and most Veterans do not qualify unless they require assisted living (help with Activities of Daily Living). The program is very complex, but we are experts in helping you understand if a Veteran is eligible to apply, and we can help you with the application. Please see our fact sheet on Disability Pension and then contact our office.

Question: I'm a Veteran, can I get dental work at the VA?


Yes, you can! VA Mare Island clinic provides necessary dental care for Veterans who were not provided dental examination and treatment within 180 days of discharge and apply within 180 days of separation from the service. The time limit does not apply to Veterans with dental disabilities resulting from combat wounds or service injuries. If a Veteran is 100% service-connected, the Veteran can receive dental care from the VA.

If you are enrolled in the VA for healthcare, you may be eligible to apply for dental coverage through the VA Dental Insurance Program. This program offers dental coverage plans through Delta Dental and Metlife. To apply, go here http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/vadip/

Question: I believe that I have an Agent Orange-related disease. Can I receive compensation for my condition?

Answer: Yes you can! The VA has linked several diseases to exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. Some examples are Diabetes Type 2, Ischemic Heart Disease, and Prostate Cancer, but please see our Agent Orange fact sheet for a complete list. Currently, if you served in-country in Vietnam between 9 January 1962 and 5 May 1975, whether you knew it or not, you were exposed to Agent Orange. Currently, there are three sites that have been recognized by VA for Agent Orange exposure (1) Vietnam, (2) Korea along the DMZ, (3) and Veterans who served at or near the perimeter of bases in Thailand. If you think you qualify contact this office.

Question: I've heard about VA assistance with college for my kids. Is there such a program?

Answer: Yes there is, there are two programs!

The California Department of Veterans Affairs (CDVA) assists low-income children of Veterans who are presently rated 0% or higher for a Service-Connected Disability. Also, children of military personnel killed while on Active Duty, or who have died of service-connected disabilities may be eligible. The Tuition Fee Waiver Program may waive all of the tuition at a public university (including community colleges) in California. An application (DVS-40) is available by contacting this office.

The other program is called Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) under Chapter 35. This is a monthly monetary benefit available to dependent children of a Veteran who has a Service-Connected Disability rated at 100%. There are age restrictions. Please contact our office, if you believe that you are eligible.

Question: When I die, what benefits can my spouse apply for?

Answer: If your death is attributable to a Service-connected cause, your surviving spouse may apply for Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC), which is a monthly payment compensating your spouse for your loss. Another potential benefit, the Non-service Connected Death Pension, is payable if you served during one of the Wartime Periods (such as WWII, Korea, etc.) and your surviving spouse's monthly income falls below a certain amount established by the VA.

A burial benefit may be paid to a surviving spouse if at the time of your death you are: in receipt of a Service-connected Disability Compensation Award; or if as the Veteran, you were receiving a Non-service-connected Disability Pension, or your death occurs while you are in a VA Medical Facility.

Question: I cannot find my military discharge papers (DD-214) or Report of Separation from the Military. Can you help me obtain a replacement copy? And how long must I wait?

Answer: Yes we can!
We can assist you in completing the necessary form (SF-180) to be sent off to the National Archives. You will usually receive a replacement copy of your papers in one to three months.