Veterans Driver License

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet) announce a new program honoring our Veterans by allowing them to apply for a "Veteran" designation on California driver licenses and identification cards. You are eligible for this, if you have honorable Active Duty service, or if you were a Guardsmen or Reservist and were activated for federal military service and completed this duty under honorable conditions, or were a Guardsmen or Reservist and completed 6 years of reserve service.

Our office can assist you in obtaining this "Veteran" designation on your California Driver License. In order to make the process easier for you, please follow these simple steps: 

1. Get Records. Find an original or certified copy of your military discharge certificate (DD214 member-4). If you need assistance obtaining your military records, then visit our office to complete an SF-180. Once this form is completed, we will send it to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) to obtain a certified copy of your DD-214, DD256, or NGB 22.

2. Visit Our Office. Take your original or certified documents and California identification to any of our locations to obtain your Veteran Status Verification Form (VSD-001). While you are in our office, we suggest that you sit down with a Veterans Service Representative for a brief overview of your eligibility for VA benefits.

3. Visit Any DMV. Go online or call DMV for an appointment. Then bring your Veteran Status Verification Form to any DMV field office. To schedule an appointment at any DMV field office or call 800-777-0133.

California Veteran Drivers License