Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors
Contra Costa is governed by a five-member Board of Supervisors elected to represent residents of our County.
The Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors holds its public meetings at the County Administration Building located at:
1025 Escobar Street
Martinez, CA 94553
Meetings are held on Tuesdays at 9:00 a.m., although they are not held on every Tuesday. Please check the calendar on the County homepage for dates of upcoming meetings.
District 3 Supervisor Diane Burgis serves as Chair of the Board of Supervisors for 2021. District 5 Supervisor Federal Glover serves as Vice Chair.
All meetings are open to the public, and the public is encouraged to attend via television and live-streaming. You may watch the meetings live online at www.contracosta.ca.gov or www.contracostatv.org or on Contra Costa Television, Comcast Channel 27, WAVE Channel 32, or AT&T UVerse Channel 99. Find Board & District meeting agendas. Watch the live streams and archives of the Board of Supervisors meetings.
Duties and Responsibilities
As defined by general law, the duties of the Board of Supervisors include:
- Appointing most County department heads, except elected officials, and providing for the appointment of all other County employees
- Providing for the compensation of all County officials and employees
- Creating officers, boards and commissions as needed, appointing members and fixing the terms of office
- Awarding all contracts except those that are within the authority delegated to the County Purchasing Agent
- Adopting an annual budget
- Sponsoring an annual audit made of all County accounts, books, and records
- Supervising the operations of departments and exercising executive and administrative authority through the County government and County Administrator
- Serving as the appellate body for Planning and Zoning issues
- Serving as the County Board of Equalization (the Board has created an Assessment Appeals Board to perform this function
Learn about the Board of Supervisors’ Appointed Bodies, Committees, and Commissions, including the Maddy Book listing. See related information below:
- Boards, Committees, and Commissions Application (PDF)
- Boards, Committees, and Commissions Annual Scheduled Vacancies (PDF)
- Vacant Seats on Boards, Committees, and Commissions
- Brown Act and Better Government Ordinance Training Video
- Ethics Orientation for County Officials Training Video
- Advisory Body Handbook 2014
- 2012 Annual Advisory Body Training Video
- 2012 Annual Refresher Training PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)