Accessory Dwelling Units

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU)

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) are known by many names: granny flats, in-law units, backyard cottages, secondary units and more. No matter what you call them, ADUs are an innovative, affordable, effective option for adding much-needed housing.

State Guidance for ADUs

As of January 1, 2019, homeowners who created accessory dwelling units (ADUs) without the required building permits may have the opportunity to bring their ADUs into compliance.
Learn more about the State Law and Guidance for ADUs

  1. Permit New ADU
  2. Permit Existing ADU

Planning Approvals

Building Permit Requirements

If you are thinking about making any improvements to your home or parcel, and you have a septic system, you need to have your plans reviewed by Environmental Health.
Learn more about Septic System permitting.