Building and Grading Permits By Email and Electronic Plans
Effective May 4, 2020, Contra Costa County requires Electronic Plan Submittals for all permits. Electronic Plan Submittals allow applicants to submit plans and documents electronically as we are no longer accepting paper documents. Documents such as application forms, drawings, calculations, and various reports must now be submitted electronically.
Online ePermits for Minor Residential Permits and Roof Mount Photovoltaic
Going forward, the following types of permits must be made via the ePermits Center. First time users will need to register for an account by submitting the applicable registration form below and supporting documents to Epermits.email@example.com.
Residential projects that do not require plans:
- Mechanical – new or replacement HVAC, new or replacement ducts
- Plumbing – water heater replacement, gas line repair, water line repair, installation of gas shut -off device, sewer line repair within the footprint of home
- Electrical – replace electrical service < 200 amps, lawn sprinkler systems control unit
Residential and Commercial projects:
- Roof mount photovoltaic on existing structures.
- Solar canopy projects must be submitted as a permit by email.
- Visit our Solar Permits page for more information.
ePermits Center Forms and Guides
- Online Section B (PDF) - Permit declarations required for each online ePermit
- How to Upload Attachments (PDF)
Permits By Email
All Grading permits will need to be submitted as a Permit by Email. All Building permit applications that do not meet the criteria for the ePermits Center will need to be submitted as a Permit by Email. These are generally more complicated projects that may involve a site plan, detailed drawings/plans, approvals from other agencies, etc. Smaller projects like bathroom and kitchen remodels, window replacements, foundation repairs, termite repair, etc. will be reviewed quickly and issued as soon as we can.
Email your completed Permit Application (PDF) to APCintake@dcd.cccounty.us to begin the application process. We will accept wet signed or electronically signed permit application form as an original or scanned PDF document or clear photograph.
For smaller projects, you may email the other documents required for your project scope with your permit application. Follow our guide on Preparing Electronic Plans for Permits By Email (PDF).
Refer to the Submittal Requirements section down below to ensure you have met all of our submittal criteria for required documents and forms that must be included in your submittal package.
Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader PDF software
Staff will reply within 4-5 business days to confirm that your application has been assigned or to request additional information. The plan checker will contact you to discuss what documents are required for your project and provide you a link to upload the required documents for your project as needed.
Please make sure that all required applications, forms, plans and supporting documents are submitted at the same time.
Your uploaded documents will be checked for completeness and if an item is missing you will be notified by email or by phone. Please note that incomplete submittals will be rejected and you will be required to resubmit all plans and supporting documents as a complete package.
Larger projects require a plan check fee at the beginning of the plan check process. We will email you instructions for paying online on the ePermits Center website. Credit card and e-check payments are accepted online. After we have confirmed your payment, plan review will begin on your project. How to make a payment (PDF) How to make a payment video
All communications and responses during the plan review process will be by email or phone only. If we have comments on necessary revisions to your plans, we will email those to you as well as a link to upload your revised documents.
After payment has been confirmed you will be notified by email to download your permit card and approved plans. You will be required to provide a printed copy of the permit card and approved plans at the permit site.
To help us process your permit efficiently, please make sure you have prepared your submittal package correctly. Below are the required forms and guidelines for the documents we will need to process and approve your permit.
Required Documents for Contractors
- Active contractor license
Required Documents for Owner-Builders
- Owner – Builder Acknowledgement (PDF)
- Authorization of Agent to Act on Property Owner’s Behalf (PDF) This form is only required when the Owner-Builder applicant is hiring a contractor or other to perform the work described in the permit scope.
Forms for Contractors and Owner-Builders
- Residential Construction Submittal Checklist (PDF)
- Commercial Construction Submittal Checklist (PDF)
- CalGreen Construction & Demolition Debris Recovery Program
- Demolition Permit Requirement - PCBs Screening Assessment Form (PDF)
- Drainage Plan Requirement Checklist (PDF)
- Generator Checklist (PDF) (required for all generator installations)
- Roof or Ground Mount Solar Checklist (required for photovoltaic permits)
- Title 24 Energy Code Form
Required Documents for Permits within Clayton, Hercules, Lafayette, Moraga and Orinda
- Clayton: Scanned copy of the plans stamped by the City and City signoff on completed application. Contact the City of Clayton for their submittal requirements, (925) 673-7300.
- Hercules: Contact the City of Hercules for their submittal requirements, (510) 799-8244
- Lafayette: Electronic plans stamped by the City, their completed application and a completed County application. Contact the City of Lafayette for their submittal requirements, (925) 284-1976.
- Moraga: Scanned copy of the stamped plans by the Town and Town signoff on completed application. Contact the Town of Moraga for their submittal requirements, (925) 888-7040.
- Orinda: Electronic plans stamped by the City, their completed application and a completed County application. Contact the City of Orinda for their submittal requirements, (925) 253-4210.
Required Approvals from Sanitary and Fire Districts
- Provide scanned copies of approved plans from sanitary and fire districts
- All revised plans will need to be re-stamped, scanned and submitted to our department
Revisions After Permit Issuance
- Submit the revised sheets to the original plan reviewer for your project. Clearly indicate the permit number, address of job site and best contact information in your email. Contact 925-674-7200 to inquire who the plan reviewer for your project is.
- Submit RFI’s and Deferred Submittals to the original plan reviewer for your project. Clearly indicate the permit number, address of job site and best contact information in your email. Contact 925-674-7200 to inquire who the plan reviewer for your project is.
We are working remotely while our offices are closed. Contact us at 925-674-7200 for questions on your project. Thank you for your patience as we transition into our all digital permitting process.