The National Weather Service has forecast hot and sunny weather beginning on Sunday, September 27, 2020, continuing into the start of the week. There is also a Red Flag Fire Warning from Saturday, September 26, from 9 pm through Monday, September 28, to 8 am. See below, beat the heat tips.
Places to Cool From the Heat:
Antioch, Brentwood, Concord, and Martinez all have places to cool from the heat.
- Nick Rodriguez Community Center, 213 F Street, Antioch. Open Saturday, September 26, through Wednesday, September 30, from 12 noon to 6 pm. 925-776-3050
- Antioch Water Park, 4701 Lone Tree Way, Antioch. Open Saturday, September 26, and Sunday, September 27, for family swimming sessions. Advanced reservations are required. Call (925) 776-3070 for more information or visit www.antiochca.gov.
- Brentwood Community Center, 35 Oak Street, Brentwood. Call for hours at 925-516-5444.
- Concord Senior Center, 2727 Parkside Circle, Concord. Open Sunday, September 27, to Wednesday, September 30, from 1 pm to 6 pm. (925) 671-3320
- Martinez Senior Center, 818 Green Street, Martinez. Open Sunday, September 27, to Monday, September 28, from 1 pm to 6 pm. (925) 370-8770
The County’s Employment and Human Services Department (EHSD) has a location to cool. Please note that during the COVID-19 shelter in place, EHSD’s regular programs and services are NOT currently available at these offices.
Open Monday, September 28, through Thursday, October 1, from 1 pm to 5 pm:
- EHSD Office, 4545 Delta Fair Blvd., Antioch
Social distancing and face-covering requirements are in place at all locations. Capacity may be limited to comply with County health orders. Community members should NOT go to any of these places to cool off if they have been exposed to or are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, or if they have been ordered to quarantine. All visitors to EHSD offices will be asked screening questions before they can enter the buildings.
TIPS TO PREVENT heat-related symptoms:
- Drink water. Sip all day; do not wait until you are thirsty.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeinated beverages, sugary soft drinks, and full-strength fruit juices.
- Limit physical activity and wear a hat outside, preferably with a wide brim.
- Keep shades drawn, and blinds closed, but windows should be slightly open.
- Open windows to cooling breezes in the evening.
See Beat the Heat Tips (PDF).