The National Weather Service has issued a Heat Advisory followed by an Excessive Heat Warning for this week starting Wednesday, June 16, 11 am through Friday, June 18, 9 pm.
See locations in Contra Costa County to cool off during high heat this week. County locations through the Employment & Human Services Department are open through Friday, June 18, 2021, from 8 am to 5 pm. See EHSD Places to Cool (PDF) and EHSD Places to Cool in Spanish (PDF).
TIPS TO PREVENT heat-related symptoms:
- Drink water. Sip all day; do not wait until you are thirsty.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeinated beverages, sugary soft drinks, and full-strength fruit juices.
- Limit physical activity and wear a hat outside, preferably with a wide brim.
- Keep shades drawn, and blinds closed, but windows should be slightly open.
- Open windows to cooling breezes in the evening.
See Cooling Tips to Survive Summer Heat (PDF).
High temperatures can cause serious health problems. See Health Services information on Heat and Your Health.