Contra Costa County Public Works Airport and Road Closures & Sandbag Information
(Updated) January 16, 2023, 11:33 a.m., Contra Costa County, CA - Contra Costa County Public Works has responded to emergency calls due to flooding, mudslides and other issues related to the recent storms. Below is the current status of the county maintained roads and an Airport in unincorporated Contra Costa County:
Mudslides on Marsh Creek Rd
- **Airport Closure** Byron Airport (C83) is currently closed to all traffic due to flooding. A Notice to Air Missions (NOTAM) has been issued for the closure. We will provide updates as they become available.
- Marsh Creek Rd is closed between the Clayton City Limit/Clayton Rd & Round Valley Regional Preserve staging area at 19450 Marsh Creek Rd due to localized flooding, rock & mudslides. Only local traffic is allowed through the area at this time.
- Deer Valley Rd is closed between Balfour Rd & Marsh Creek Rd due to flooding. Only local traffic is allowed through the area at this time.
- Deer Valley Rd is closed between Empire Mine Rd & Wellness Way due to flooding. Please avoid the area.
- Byron Highway is closed between Byron Hot Springs Rd & Herdlyn Rd due to flooding. Please avoid the area.
- Highland Rd is closed between Carneal Rd & Manning Rd due to flooding caused by creek overflow. Only local traffic is allowed at this time.
- Morgan Territory Road is closed between 6311 Morgan Territory Rd - 9401 Morgan Territory Road due to mudslides. Only residents are allowed in the area. 5477 Morgan Territory Rd-5649 Morgan Territory Rd is open to traffic.
Please avoid these areas and limit traveling during stormy weather, unless necessary, due to localized flooding, downed trees, and hazardous situations. Do not attempt to cross flooded roads - driving, riding or walking. We also advise residents to stay out of the creeks and flood control channels.
For road closure updates & other important information follow us on Twitter @cccpublicworks: https://twitter.com/cccpublicworks
- Collection and reporting of rain and stream gauge data from District gauges
For winter storm preparedness tips & resources-including flood forecasting tools: www.contracosta.ca.gov/5906/Winter-Storm-Preparedness
County Public Works Maintenance crews are assessing all County sandbag stations and will replenish sand and sandbags in anticipation of future storm events. Sand & sandbags are free, please bring a shovel. To find your nearest sandbag station visit: www.contracosta.ca.gov/sandbags
County Public Works Maintenance road crews maintain the storm drain inlets through a program of annual inspection and cleaning. To report a clogged catch basin or drainage inlet, in unincorporated Contra Costa County, please call the Public Works Maintenance Division at 925-313-7000 during work hours and after hours call Sheriff’s Dispatch at 925-646-2441. To learn how you can report service issues to us from your mobile device using our free Mobile Citizen App visit: https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/7875/Mobile-Citizen
About Contra Costa County Public Works Department:
Contra Costa County Public Works Department (CCCPWD) maintains over 660 miles of roads, 150 miles of streams, channels and other drainage and over 150 County buildings throughout Contra Costa County. CCCPWD provides services such as Parks and Recreation, Sandbag Distribution and Flood Control throughout unincorporated areas of Contra Costa County. CCCPWD operates two airports, Buchanan Field Airport in Concord and Byron Airport in Byron. For more information about CCCPWD, please visit us at www.cccpublicworks.org
Contact: Kelly Kalfsbeek 925.313.2115, 925.723.2382