Stay hydrated and follow tips to stay cool and safe during hot weather. Be sure to check on children, the elderly, and pets.
TIPS TO PREVENT heat-related symptoms:
- Drink water. Sip all day; do not wait until you are thirsty.
- Do not leave children or pets in vehicles.
- Limit physical activity and wear a hat outside, preferably with a wide brim.
- Keep shades drawn, and blinds closed, but windows should be slightly open.
- Open windows to cooling breezes in the evening.
See Employment and Human Services' Tips and Places to Cool (PDF), including senior and community locations in the County. Vea Lugares para Refrescarse y Consejos (PDF), incluyendo ubicaciones para personas mayores y comunitarias en el Condado.
High temperatures can cause serious health problems. See Contra Costa Health Services information on Heat and Your Health.
You can also go to locations in the Bay Area with cooler temperatures or other locations with air conditioning. If you plan to visit the beach, exercise caution as there may be riptides.