What is the difference between the County Watershed Program and the Contra Costa Clean Water Program?

Both the Contra Costa Clean Water Program and the County Watershed Program (CWP) are tasked with ensuring compliance with the Municipal Stormwater National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit.
The NPDES permit is issued to the Clean Water Program, which is a collaboration between the County (represented by the County Watershed Program), the 19 incorporated cities and towns in the County, and the County Flood Control and Water Conservation District (“Co-Permittees”).

The Clean Water Program (http://www.cccleanwater.org) has its own staff that interacts with regulatory and elected officials, and provides guidance to the Co-Permittees.  The Co-Permittees benefit from these collaborative efforts which the individual jurisdictions time and money.  Ultimately, however, each jurisdiction is individually responsible for administering the NPDES permit within the bounds of its jurisdiction.

Operationally, the County Watershed Program is a program within the Flood Control Division of the County’s Public Works Department.  CWP is responsible for ensuring compliance with the NPDES permit in the unincorporated areas of the County.

Show All Answers

1. What are Area of Benefit (AOB) funds used for?
2. What are Best Management Practices (BMPs)?
3. What are Pollutants of Concern (POCs)?
4. What are the Public Works Counter hours of service, phone numbers, and location?
5. What can property owners do to help the County's maintenance efforts of private trees and other vegetation?
6. What can property owners do to prevent fallen leaves from creating blockages in the drainage system?
7. What do I do if my neighbor informed me that I am encroaching on his property?
8. What information should I provide when reporting a streetlight outage?
9. What is a cape seal?
10. What is a micro-surface seal?
11. What is a slurry seal?
12. What is a traffic Area of Benefit (AOB)?
13. What is a Watershed?
14. What is an illicit discharge and who do I call to report it?
15. What is an NOI and what permits does it cover?
16. What is C.3?
17. What is IPM and what are some ways I can try it?
18. What is NPDES and who oversees it?
19. What is the Adopt-A-Road Program?
20. What is the construction work occurring on a County Road or Flood Control Facility?
21. What is the CRIPP?
22. What is the design storm for my project?
23. What is the difference between a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) and a Stormwater Control Plan (SWCP)?
24. What is the difference between point source and non-point source?
25. What is the difference between the County Watershed Program and the Contra Costa Clean Water Program?
26. What is the difference between the storm drain system and the sanitary sewer?
27. What is the Public Works Budget?
28. What projects are upcoming or currently advertised?
29. What should I do if I see someone dumping garbage on private or public property?
30. What is a Chip Seal?
31. What is the basis of the Area of Benefit (AOB) Program?
32. What is the County's responsibility in maintaining private drainage systems?
33. What is the drainage easement across my property? Can I build on it? What can I do on it?