I am over 55 and wish to move to a smaller home. Will my taxes go up?
Proposition 60 was passed by the voters in 1986 allowing those 55 and over to transfer the assessed value of their principal residence to a replacement residence in the same county if the value of the new residence is equal to or less than that of the original residence when sold. A claim form must be timely filed with the Assessor's Office to qualify. Contra Costa County does not accept transfers from other counties. For additional information regarding this exclusion, see R and T code 69.5 or contact our office at (925) 313-7400

Show All Answers

1. My property value was reduced under Proposition 8. Now the Assessment has increased. Why?
2. What is a Supplemental Assessment?
3. What about NEW CONSTRUCTION reappraisals?
4. Is property assessed at the price paid?
5. Are there special programs available for Senior Citizens?
6. Is there a Builder's Exclusion?
7. I am over 55 and wish to move to a smaller home. Will my taxes go up?
8. What is the Williamson Act (Ag Preserve)?
9. When is Real Estate reappraised?
10. If I have an addition to my home, will you reappraise the entire property?
11. If I do the work myself, will I only be assessed on the cost of the materials?
12. Are mobile homes subject to property taxes?
13. When can I appeal my assessed value?
14. What and when is a lien date?
15. Why are my neighbor's and my tax bills different when the houses are the same?
16. What happens if I don't pay these taxes?
17. How do you calculate taxes?