When I die, what benefits can my spouse apply for?
If your death is attributable to a Service-connected cause, your surviving spouse may apply for Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC), which is a monthly payment compensating your spouse for your loss. Another potential benefit, the Non-service Connected Disability Pension, is payable if you served during one of the Wartime Periods (such as WWII, Korea, etc.) and your surviving spouse’s monthly income falls below a certain amount established by the VA. A burial benefit may be paid to a surviving spouse if at the time of your death you are in receipt of a Service-connected Disability Compensation Award; or if as the veteran, you were receiving a Non-service-connected Disability Pension, or your death occurs while you are in a VA Medical Facility.

Show All Answers

1. I have a VA Service Connected Disability rating. Can I go to the VA to be reevaluated and receive care for my Service Connected Health conditions?
2. What does your Veterans Service office do to help Veterans?
3. I'm a veteran, can I get dental work at the VA?
4. I believe that I have an Agent Orange related disease. Can I received Compensation for my condition?
5. I've heard about VA assistance with college for my kids. Is there such a program?
6. When I die, what benefits can my spouse apply for?
7. I cannot find my military discharge papers (DD-214) or Record of Separation from the Military. Can you help me obtain a replacement copy? And how long must I wait?