You can help by:
1. Welcoming the detection traps featured on this page.
2. Report any unusual or targeted insects or plant conditions. You can report this to our department, the University of California Master Gardeners of Contra Costa, or the California Department of Food and Agriculture Pest Hotline at 1-800-491-1899.
3. Follow any quarantine restrictions that apply to your property.
4. When returning to California from an out-of-state trip, do not bring back prohibited fruits, vegetables, and other plants with you.
5. Discourage your family and friends outside of California from sending backyard produce or plants in the mail. If you do want to send these things, contact our office so we can help you to determine if you can do it safely. Visit the California Department of Agriculture’s information on bringing plants and animals into California and guide for bringing fruit and vegetables into California (PDF) to find out what is prohibited.