Contra Costa County, CA


What are your hours?

Martinez and Pinole Shelters Tuesday through Saturday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm Wednesdays 10:00 am to 7:00 pm We are closed Sunday, Monday, major holidays Spay/Neuter Clinic (Martinez Shelter only) Phone hours: Tuesday - Friday 9 am to 12 noon and 1 pm to 4 pm 925-335-8320 NOTE: Spay/neuter surgeries are by appointment only; pets scheduled for surgery must be at the Spay/Neuter Clinic between 7:30 am and 8 am on the morning of surgery. Saturday Vaccination Drop-In Clinic (no appointment needed) 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Where are the Animal Services shelters located?

We have two locations: 

  • Martinez Shelter 4800 Imhoff Place Martinez, CA 94553-4393 (925) 608-8400 
  • Pinole Shelter 910 San Pablo Avenue Pinole, CA 94564-2632 (510) 942-4530

What number do I call for information on...?

  • General Information: (925) 608-8400 or (510) 942-4530
    Call with questions or concerns about injured or stray animals, lost and found pets, animal cruelty concerns, policy and procedure questions, or questions about animal laws.
  • Licensing: (833) 259-2136
  • Spay/Neuter Clinic: (925) 608-8420
  • Assistance with lost or stray animals:
  • Information on becoming an Animal Services Volunteer:
  • Humane Education: (925) 608-8440 for information on classroom presentations.

How do I make a complaint?

Call (925) 608-8400 or (510) 374-3966 with questions or concerns regarding stray animals or wildlife. For noisy animals, see our web page.

I am a senior citizen. Am I eligible for a reduced dog license fee?

If you are 65 years of age or older, you are eligible for a reduced dog license fee, one per household. Proof of age is required. Call Licensing at 925-608-8410 for more information.

Where can I find out about dangerous animal laws?

Information on dangerous animals and potentially dangerous animals is located under the Animal Ordinance section of the County Code,

Division 416-12.

Does my dog always have to be on a leash?

Yes, your dog must be on a leash and under your control unless s/he is on your property, the property of a consenting adult, or on property such as a dog park where the off-leash conditions are designated by appropriate signage or regulation(s). Contra Costa County enforces a "leash law," which forbids dogs from being at large or "loose" (with certain exemptions). See County Code Animal Ordinance,

Division 416-4.402

What will a dog license cost me?

It depends on whether your dog is spayed or neutered.Go to the Licensing page for more information.


Where can I get information on animal laws in Contra Costa County.

You are welcome to call us for information at (925) 608-8400. The Contra Costa County Code will also provide the information on animal laws in this county. 


How do I report abuse or neglect of an animal?

Call our general information line at 925-608-8400 to report suspected abuse or neglect of an animal.

Who do I call about injured wildlife?

Call Animal Services at (925) 608-8400 for advice about wildlife that you think might be injured. Also, Lindsay Wildlife Museum is a local organization which operates an on-site wildlife hospital in Walnut Creek, CA. Call (925) 935-1978 for more information or visit their


How do I get rid of wild turkeys in my yard?

Animal Services is unable to respond to wild turkey situations, unless the turkey is injured or creating a public safety hazard. The California Department of Fish and Game may be able to help you. For more information, check the Fish and Game website for advice and suggestions on living with

wild turkeys.

How much does it cost to adopt an animal?

Fees vary depending on the animal being adopted. Please see our Animal Adoption Fees page for more information.


What are the requirements to adopt an animal?

You must be 18 years or older with a valid ID. Also, if you are a renter, the landlord's name and address are required.

What forms of payment are acceptable?

Adoptions and services may be paid by cash, check (with valid ID), VISA or MasterCard.

Why does my animal have to be altered and microchipped at adoption?

In an effort to reduce pet overpopulation, it is our policy that all of our animals are altered (spayed or neutered) as a condition of adoption. We microchip all animals to help ensure the safe return of a lost pet.

Do you have low-income vet care?

At this time, we do not offer low-income veterinary services. We suggest you search the internet, yellow pages, or call your local veterinarian.


Foreclosure and pets . . . what can I do?

If you are unable to care for your pets due to foreclosure difficulties, you have the option to surrender them to Animal Services. Call us at 925-608-8400 for more information. You might also visit the Resources page.

East Bay SPCA website.

West Nile Virus - how do I report a dead bird or squirrel?

Animal Services does not pick up dead birds or squirrels. If you want to report a dead bird or squirrel for possible West Nile Virus contamination, call 1-877-968-2473 or visit the State website.


Skunks are living in my yard. . . how do I get rid of them?

If you find a dead or injured skunk, or believe a skunk has had contact with people or pets, DON'T HANDLE IT or try to trap it. Call Animal Services at 925-608-8400 for assistance. For helpful information on living safely with skunks or to request a skunk inspection, call the Contra Costa Mosquito and Vector Control District at 925-685-9301, ext. 190, or visit their