Project Permitting

The Final HCP/NCCP establishes a coordinated, regional approach to conservation and regulation of endangered species. It replaces the prior process of fragmented mitigation and project-by-project permitting by the wildlife agencies, and is intended to benefit conservation, agencies, and project proponents alike.

Project Approvals

Under the HCP/NCCP, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the California Department of Fish and Game have provided regional permits to the Cities of Brentwood, Clayton, Oakley, and Pittsburg and Contra Costa County. These land use agencies may extend permit coverage to project applicants within their jurisdictions. Instead of seeking endangered species permits from the state and federal agencies, project proponents will now acquire their endangered species approvals from their local land use planning agency. The regional permits will also be used for public infrastructure projects throughout eastern Contra Costa County.

Application Process

The general process for applying for and utilizing permit coverage under the HCP/NCCP is summarized below:

  • Project proponent applies for take coverage from the applicable city or County using the HCP/NCCP Application Form and Planning Survey Report
  • City or County reviews application for completeness and verifies required fees
  • City or County conditions project with applicable requirements of HCP/NCCP
  • Project proponent pays fees before or at grading permit (at first construction permit if no grading permit)
  • Project Proponent conducts any required pre-construction monitoring, construction monitoring and avoidance measures

Please consult directly with the applicable land use agency for specific procedures (see contact information below).

Documents and Additional Information Resources for Applicants

HCP/NCCP Application Materials

Planning Survey Report Application (July 2015 template)
Attachment Checklist

Fee Calculators for projects within cities and County:
Fee Calculator Worksheet (Permanent Impacts)
Fee Calculator Worksheet (Temporary Impacts)

Fee Calculators for Participating Special Entities :
PSE Fee Calculator Worksheet (Permanent Impacts)
PSE Fee Calculator Worksheet (Temporary Impacts)

Note: Fee amounts were adjusted on February 25, 2021

Contact Information

City of Brentwood
Planning Division
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Phone: (925) 516-5405
Fax: (925) 516-5407

City of Clayton
Community Development Department
6000 Heritage Trail
Clayton, CA 94517
Phone: (925) 673-7340
Fax: (925) 672-4917

City of Oakley
Community Development Department, Planning Division
3231 Main Street
Oakley, CA 94561

City of Pittsburg
Planning Department
65 Civic Avenue
Pittsburg, CA 94565
Phone: (925) 252-4920
Fax: (925) 252-4814

Contra Costa County/East Contra Costa County Habitat Conservancy
Department of Conservation and Development
John Kopchik, Abigail Fateman, Joanne Chiu, Allison Cloney
30 Muir Road
Martinez, CA 94553
Phone: (925) 674-7831